The other day I started getting plagued by constant pop-ups in Flashbuilder notifying me that “An internal error occurred during: “Finding occurrences””, the details then outline that a “java.lang.NullPointerException” is to blame. The partial stack-trace was as follows:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2013-07-10 17:47:41.466
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Finding occurrences".
After a ton of googling on the error, the best solution I could find was to simply try and drag this window somewhere off the screen and ignore it. Unfortunately, this just wasn’t going to work for me; partly because Flashbuilder wouldn’t allow me to drag the window off screen, but mostly because I wanted to find a real fix! After a bunch of trial and error I was finally able to pin this down to a workspace error.
The Solution: For me the solution ended up being pretty simple. I made a backup copy of all the projects in my workspace, then deleted all the files (including the hidden ones) in my workspace. Next I pointed Flashbuilder at the now empty workspace directory (forcing it to recreate all the workspace files). Finally I imported the project folders that I had backed up. That seemed to do the trick for me. Now I’m just hoping that the same error doesn’t resurface in 20 minutes…